Sunday, May 9, 2010

BP3_2010051_RSSFeeds


First and foremost I would like to mention that I am a greenhorn when it comes to all that we have come to discover in ETC. This is a true statement, but wow it has really been fun and truly amazing to learn all those things that I always wondered about. Like what the heck is an RSS feed, never imagined there would come a day where I would understand what that little orange icon was used for. Transcendence is always a cool thing.

The first of my RSS feeds is that of the Texas Education Agency website http://www.tea.state.tx.us/

I had to really think about what sites I would be using as part of my professional and student responsibilities. As a teacher it is always a good thing to stay in touch with your states agency for public education. There are many different links and resources with regards to education in our state. It is also a good way of staying informed about new laws and by laws that may be introduced. Another avenue of information that is always pleasing is information about positive things that may be happening around our school districts around the state.

My next RSS feed jumps up to the Federal level of education.

http://www.ed.gov/

Again thinking about sources for my professional life is something that I have to consider with a wide scope. It seems there are many different sources it is hard to decide what is the best. With this in mind I chose the US Department of Education because of the service and the information that is provided. As mentioned with the state agency this site also offers a bit of the same information on much bigger scale. This site is a good resource for current aggregated data that has been obtained through school districts nationwide. The Ed Gov site is a good way to stay informed about policies that have been adopted or updated. You may even find current state rankings with regards to content areas. I am hoping to get good use of this site and hope that it offers information that will benefit my classroom.

Up next http://www.free.ed.gov/index.cfm

Now jumping into the classroom I have found a site that offers free resources for any subject matter. The following site http://www.free.ed.gov/index.cfm is full of information for teaching and using in the classroom for research or simply educating students about a specific topic. I found it really useful for finding images pertaining to the Art History. It has many outside links to choose from and is very user friendly.

Now we are looking for tools that we can use an implement in the classroom.

The only site that came to mind was http://arvixe2.go2web20.net/

Again I am consistently just amazed at what we are using in this class. When I talk to my co-teachers and constituents I speak to them with such enthusiasm about all that it is out there. The regrettably point to this discussion is that we do not have this form of technology currently being practiced at our school. I am hoping to be a pioneer in the introduction to our local campus. It would be totally revolutionary towards our population of students. The concept of housing a group of applications and services that WEB 2.0 offers could potentially change the way students perceive the education and learning process they as students are involved in. This digital age of information is at our fingertips. It can be reached at the touch of a button or at the arrival of an RSS feed. This is truly the beginning of something very new and interesting for me. I hope that others in the class are feeling the same way.

The last website that I chose for my RSS feeds is the Classroom 2.0 website

http://groups.diigo.com/group/classroom20

This RSS feed is constantly being fed with information from individuals interested in promoting the use of technology. It offers a network of people registered to Classroom20 to promote the use of technology in the classroom and professional career. Using a social network framework diigo links many different sources with regards to education and all possible technological connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment